Monday, May 2, 2011

Where did April GO?

 

I am not sure where April went but it went by fast!

School has been great. The kids seem to be getting better from there colds. We have one girl who still has a runny noise but I think she always does.  We have had another missionary from my church come up to the school and help with some of the needs of the kids. It’s been great getting her help and suggestions. One thing we need is some adaptive scissors and left handed ones. Some of the kids are left handed and are using right handed scissors so it’s a little hard. I am not sure if they have them down here or not but maybe in Guatemala City? They do need more practice cutting and using scissors. We also have a occupational therapist that works at the school too and comes and helps with the kids. Some need more assistants in verbal talking, working more independently on life skills and just skills in general. It’s always nice in getting more suggestions to improve the life of the students. I was able to get some new play-dough brought form the states and the kids loved playing with it. It’s the little cases of dough which is perfect cause it comes in a pack of 10 and that’s how many kids we have!

School Trip (133)             School Trip (140)

 

The Kids practicing for Mother’s Day event!

  

School Trip (137)              School Trip (138)

 

On Friday April 29th we took the older kids to a amusement park in Guatemala City, here are a few pictures of our adventure;

Me on the Moto Ride with a student                       Amy on the log ride with students

School Trip (19)                School Trip (16)

Me on the log ride with some students               Megan on the Moto ride with a student

              School Trip (10)

Some of our students                                    The Boys we were with that day

School Trip (11)               School Trip (44)

 

Bumper Cars, Amy is in center in Green along with a student               Two of our students

School Trip (33)       School Trip (38)

Me and the boys                                            Two of our students

School Trip (45)      School Trip (52)

Off to the Zoo

School Trip (115)                        School Trip (87)     

Not sure what they are but they are funny!

 School Trip (41)       School Trip (104)

Reminded me of home!      This reminded me of my nephew Isaac, he use to have a guinea pig

School Trip (71)       School Trip (100)   

Megan and me

   School Trip (110)         

April seemed to be a very busy month, we also had Semana Santa also know as Holy Week. On the weekends it started back in March but the real long, crazy week of everyone coming to Antigua, Guatemala was April 15th to April 24th. What I have been told was Semana Santa started out sharing the story of Christ. Now they seem to think by caring floats around they win there salvation. Almost like they are earning it! It also seems to be about money! In the pictures below you will see some floats and people caring them, they spend hundreds of dollars being involved in this tradition. The beautiful carpets that are made seem to have the same thinking, they think by making the carpets it will win them to God. The best float I saw I didn’t’ have my camera on me, It was the story of Christ first by him riding in on the donkey and then continuing to Christ on the cross. A lot of the floats seem depressing, the atmosphere around the floats as they walk by are depressing as well. I just learned that the people here think Christ did not raise from the dead and that’s why he is still in the caskets you see on the floats. He is risen and it’s sad to witness thousands of people celebrating his death and only thinking that! HE IS RISEN!!!

                                                                 Food People donate for carpets

Semana Santa (7)    Semana Santa (12)

Here are some carpets                                       Helping out on a carpet

Semana Santa 2 (4)                        Semana Santa 2 (11)

 

Semana Santa 2 (10)                             Semana Santa 2 (18)

                                                                         Stopping for some Lunch (Street Food)

Semana Santa 2 (21)              Semana Santa 2 (26)

 

Semana Santa 2 (46)                               Semana Santa 2 (57)

 

Semana Santa 2 (59)              Semana Santa 2 (66)

 

                                                              Megan and Me

Semana Santa 2 (84)                   Semana Santa 2 (86)

Friends from home!

Semana Santa 2 (88)    Semana Santa 2 (98)

 

Semana Santa 2 (92)          Semana Santa 2 (97)

Stopping for Supper at Hectors                         Then some Street Food Dessert

Semana Santa 2 (119)                   Semana Santa 2 (126)

Semana Santa 2 (136)       Semana Santa 2 (137)

 

Semana Santa 2 (155)        Semana Santa 2 (162)

 

Semana Santa 2 (192)     Semana Santa 2 (184)

                                                           Sunrise at 6am being up since 3am, my feet hurt so bad!!

Semana Santa 2 (180)         Semana Santa 2 (202)  

                                                                       Krista my Semana Santa Buddy

Semana Santa 2 (220)                        Semana Santa 2 (229)

 

Semana Santa 2 (227)

 

Prayer:

Tooth issues- Staying Healthy!

Finances

Students and Parents of Santa Maria de Jesus

Traveling to and from work

Teaching English at church

Keeping God close when life seems to get busy!

Raining Season is upon us!!! SAFETY

Decisions:

I would like to ask you for prayer in regarding a decision I need to make. I have been praying about staying another year or ???. I have been feeling led to work with the mission team at my church here in Guatemala. I have talked to my Pastor here and today he told me that if I want to stay I would be welcomed at church. I now have to make the decision if I want to stay. I have talked with my family and now asking my extended family in prayer! I know finances are a big part of being here and need to do some more fund raising and talk to those who support me. Please pray that God will lead me to where he wants, that I will hear him and know it’s meant to be. Thank you

Thank you for all your prayers

With much love Jenny

 

My Tooth: Many of you may know I asked for prayer regarding my tooth, well last week I Braved the Dentist he was no DR.Sharkus but he was nice and spoke English! I had part of a filling come out and cavity there from it. It went well and the pain I had seems to lessen.  I still have some pain and I think the other tooth I told him about is causing the Pain. SO we will see!!! I was also told two bottom teeth needs to have the fillings redone and I think he sees a cavity? Also my crown where I had a root canal needs to be replaced?? Before any of that happens I will be talking with my Dentist Peps from back in Madison, Wisconsin!

Please Keep Praying about my teeth!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jenny!!! Have been following your site, love looking at the pictures. You have lost weight!!! Glad to hear all is going well. Hope you are able to get your teeth situation fixed. Another year huh??? Don't you miss us??? Sure you will make the best decision for you. Take care!

Kelly Storm

Unknown said...

I am so glad you are following my site! It's nice to know people back home are missing me,hehehe! I am not sure about aother year! It's up in the air, YIKES But as of right now I planning on coming back, I just emailed Brian today in regards of starting next year! I do miss home, it seems more and more everyday now. I have lost some weight, :) Glad people can see that! It's been a great year so far, still have till october to go then right back to work back home. No break for me! :(
Thanks for the email, it's nice to hear from people! Take Care!