Saturday, September 4, 2010

Prayer and Support

Today has been really hard, there’s only one person here at the house and they are busy! So it’s really hard when I have all day free and I just sit! I talked to my sister Jane today and started to cry about being so scared to go on the Chicken bus by myself! I told her I would feel better about being on it alone when I start to speak the language! My Dad and Kay told me it’s not being scared but having wisdom and being caution! So that made me feel better! I ask that you pray for me, that I will get support money in to pay for Spanish Class and I can go and not seem house bound. Below is my NEWSLETTER! I hope you enjoy!! 

 

My Update

Well I arrived on August 16th at 7:30 a.m. and it was a very long day. It all started on Sunday the 15th at church! I think I cried the whole time! I was commissioned from my church and had a going away lunch! I had such a wonderful time at lunch! It was very hard tough to say goodbye to my family I have had the last 6 years. I was also blessed with a new computer from the church! I am very thankful for everything my family, friends and church family has done for me as I take this journey in my life. It means a lot to have the support and prayers as they are needed and shows how much everyone cares for me. I then took the bus to Chicago on August 15th at 6:15pm and two close family members of mine waved me good-bye, I cried most of the way to the airport, texting them a lot before I couldn’t anymore! Monday was pretty hard on me. A lot harder then I thought it would be. I got started right away at Vida Y Esperanza on Tuesday the 17th. It was great to be busy! I am finding it’s easier for me when I am busy so I picked up woodcarving and my first project is a turtle. I have not finished it yet but when I find myself feeling lonely , nothing to do or need a break from Spanish I will work on my Turtle. I find it very relaxing to work on. It’s been a very hard adjustment for me here but I am praying that God will keep working in my life in settling here! Like the weather, I did not pack for the cold!!! It’s usually 70’s in the A.M. but very cloudy and cold. At night it drop’s down to the 60’s which I love this type of weather only if I had the right type of clothes ( some football) and would not rain all the time!! J I have helped Gilma with a Saturday children’s program and all the kids are so eager to learn God’s word and is very enjoyable watching them. I am helping one of the girls in the house ( Casa Aljaba) and one the families daughters with English. It works very well when I am telling them the word in English I then say it in Spanish!

Vida Y Esperanza

I have started working part-time at the school. I enjoy going to school, seeing all the kids and learning new things everyday. I have started working with another American (Jen) in her English Classes. The first week I only observed her classes and this week I have began getting more involved teaching in English as my Spanish still needs help! I have observed the older English class and it is very different from the younger ones! I was only able to sit in one of the older classes but it was good to see. I sure do see a big difference in the schools in American compared to here in Guatemala. One thing I observed is when you walk in the door at school the teachers greet you and ask how you are doing.Well as much as they can, the teachers are taking English classes too. They make you feel very important.. I still feel a little out of place since I don’t know Spanish very well but I can see they care. The School is two stories, the  office is on the lower level along with the music, K-3rd . On the top level is 4th-9th, a kitchen and computer room. The school has a little tienda that sells small food items during refa (snack) break. This is also the time the kids get to play. They don’t have any grass or playground area but only a small area that’s covered in rocks! The school is building a second building so there’s a lot of construction going on. They are still fundraising so Please Pray that the school’s needs are meet. If you would like more information you can go to missionimpact.com. In the second building they are hoping to have some learning disability classes with kids who are struggling in certain areas. They have mentioned I may have the possibility of teaching the classes along with the English Classes. Next year we will have four English teachers. Three are American and one is from here. Since I wont have a full day of all English they have suggested I maybe teaching there as well. I am not sure what grade I will be teaching English as it has change three times already. That is something else I have to get use to, things changing all the time. One change I will have to do is wear a uniform everyday to work. I have to find a tailor to make my uniform.   This is totally new for me!! I have never had anything made to fit me so it will be exciting to see what comes of it!! I am not sure of the color just yet but it will be suit pants with a long sleeve shirt to go under it! I also have the option to buy a gym outfit, which is work out pants and a regular t-shirt if I have the funds for. Not only do teachers have uniforms but the student do too! I kind of like the idea!! The school is looking into some changes itself. Higher Standards for teachers to teach and students. So not only am I adjusting to life here, taking Spanish, the way school is but getting into the first year of some big changes for the school. I will defiantly need your prayers .I was also able to help with a Mom’s Cooking Class. It is ran by a teacher and reaches out to the local women. I was able to meet some of the parents from the school so that was nice. It was fun to help and watch them cook! They have never eaten what they cooked before, It was some American-Mexican dishes. They enjoyed very much! As  the items were cooking we had time of fellowship. It was very nice to see the women come together and worship God. After the fellowship we ate and talked. It was very fun! Here is a small look at the school, on the right that is the school with the tienda. ( it has coco-cola) and on the left is the new building! In the back ground is an amazing view of the mountains! I do love some of the Views God has made.

Here’s the school and as  you can see the second addition is being finished. Mom’s Group

Guatemala 10-11 (34) Guatemala 10-11 (52)

Prayer Request:

1. God will continue to work in my life here and guiding me through adjustments.

2. I will continue to reach out to God and grow in his word.

3. God will reach out to the people in Guatemala and work in there lives

4. The kids and parents of the school will reach out to God in hard times they will face

5. Pray for my Spanish lesson’s to go smoothly, have understanding and not get flustered.

6. That I will remain safe and healthy.

7. That I will give all my worries and Fears to God

8. That my support will continue to come in each month.

9. That I may come home in December. Tickets right now are 620, I am praying I will have the support to come home!

Support:

With deepest thanks I thank all of you who are willing to support me in my new journey God has directed me to live. I am so grateful for your support each month. I have come into expenses that I would like for you to pray about and wilily to help with the cost. I would like to take Spanish lesson with Latino America in Antigua and the cost is $420 per month. My goal is to do Three months but I will be more then Grateful for Two or at least One month. I feel the need to take these class so I may have a better opportunity to minister here in Guatemala.

The 2nd Cost is my school uniform. I was unaware of the dress code so I didn’t put this in my budget. It’s going to cost me $130 for the uniform the school has required. This is very hard for me to ask, I am use to making my own money and not relaying on others to help with my cost. I am learning a lot here. Support can go to:

F.O.C.E.

P.O. Box 6904

Kokomo, IND

46904-6904

Jennifer Ribbink-Casa Aljaba

Guatemala

Love Jenny

No comments: